10.25.2007

Idiotic behavior makes for a long day...

Today was the 10th Anniversary luncheon celebration for the all girls boarding school that I've been employed for last 4 years. Pictured below is our little family - my girls are moving back in this weekend & I'll miss them, but I am used to the process of switching them out every 6 weeks...it makes our family life all the more interesting! This is everyone in line for dessert - we had educational consultants visit from all over to check out the school...it's been a busy day, but this in no way compares to yesterday...read on...

So because I want to keep my benefits & the extra cash always helps, I have a transition home (that I explained above, where girls live with us and make the transition back to normal life) and I help out with any special events with the school. Yesterday was the LONGEST day in preparation to today! To spare you the details from the day of H-E-double toothpicks, let me just say I was running (not walking) errands all day from sun up to sun down. As a favor, I took my nieces up NORTH to Flagstaff for dance from 5:00 - 7:00. I've been fighting a cold & so by dinner time my throat was raw, I had a pounding headache, Lil' was more than ready to be done with her carseat (who can blame her, she'd been in it all day), and I was just counting down the minutes I could get home and get my buns into bed. I pick up dinner & wait for the girls to be done...after watching my darlings do the hula to a Hawaiian Christmas song, we all hopped in the car for the 45 minute trip home. I'm keeping my eyes on the road, and trying to soothe my screaming child, and keep the girls happy without having them turn on a DVD...so we're playing games, and their writing poems, etc. As I'm driving I notice a truck stop that I've never seen before, oh well, trudge on...A few minutes pass by "hmm, that building with blue lights doesn't look familiar, but we'll be home before we know it", I think to myself. I keep driving a few more miles until I come up to a Quality Inn..."Now I know THAT wasn't on the freeway before," I say this out loud and divert my attention to the compass on my rearview mirror...we were headed WEST on I-40 instead of SOUTH on I-17! I hadn't even realized that I was on the wrong road for 25 MILES! I quickly whipped around on one of those "only cops can use these" u-turns. What was supposed to be a 45 minute trip, ended up taking about an hour & 1/2 to get home! I think this is Karma because I mocked Ali for her lettuce-cabbage mix-up! Now it's my turn to be the butt of ridicule...I'll bend over!

4 comments:

Rachael said...

When it rains it pours! I have had many of those days my friends and they are not fun. It looks like the event was a hit...you never cease to amaze me. You are my own personal wonder woman! I love the picture with Lil holding a spoon. That is Jacks favorite toy its the only way we can eat out! Love ya! p.s. you never called me back!

Annie Sunshine said...

glad you made it through...hope you are feeling better!

jaesi said...

oh man...wht a day!
You look so pretty in those pics though :)

Ali said...

hee-hee-hee...

I am just kidding! Being the tender hearted fool that I am, I actually feel terrible for you. Especially because you were stressing for your daughter's sake as well. Traveling with a baby wears me out!

So, I am on my way to buy eggs for Grandma Flegal. Wish me luck in this endeavor!