My mother's day started out at about 12:30 in the morning with Lil' crying. When I checked on her, she felt pretty hot and so I put her in bed with me. After a couple hours of tossing and turning, I give her tylenol and a big glass of water...still tossing and turning. I put her back in bed, only to have her fuss and call my name a few minutes later. Around 4:00 I take her into the living room and we get cozy on the recliner...tossing and turning. I get frustrated...Lillie cries. I sing lullabies to console both of us, and we finally fall asleep out of exhaustion. Look at those sad, sick eyes...poor thing.

Cory and I both had obligations at church, but he ended up finding a replacement for his young men's lesson to stay home with Lillie, because I was not only doing Singing & Sharing Time today, but I was in charge of the Primary Mother's Day Sacrament Mtg. Presentation. The children sang "I Often Go Walking" and in the song the words talk about gathering an armful of blossoms of blue. The kids held up blue blossoms and gave them to their mom after the song. I thought it was cute...and it made me get a bit misty.
Last week when I was teaching the song to the children, I brought my mom to help me out. I told the kids that I hadn't seen my mom in over a year and that even though she is very far away, we could make her cry if we sang really well. (A little background...I got the idea online...you cut out a little hole in the pupil and hook up a squirt bottle to it...once the kids get the song, then you squirt them. According to the source, it said the kids LOVED to get a squirt from the mom. When I asked Cory to help me make it, he suggested - being the fabulous EMT that he is- the idea of using an IV instead so that the water will just drip out. I stuck with the squirt bottle idea, because it seemed like such a hit). So the kids were doing really well & singing like angels. So they got a squirt....there was a revolt!!! "That is disrespectful" "You don't just squirt water out of someone's eye" "that's just wrong" "you're so mean"...all of these comments came from primary children. Granted half of them are her grandchildren, but they all got so upset. I couldn't believe it...I finally had to physically put the picture away to calm them down. Isn't that funny? So needless to say, this idea was a major FLOP!!! Oh well, they learned the song, so that's good. 
After I got home, Cory made us a great dinner. He gave me these beautiful earrings, using money he had been saving up for a gun. I know it was a sacrifice, and it was so sweet. I was so surprised. Notice the flowers Lil' had picked out for Mother's Day. I love my little family...they made me feel like a queen for a day. 
After dinner we went for a ride, because Lillie needed to get out after being cooped up all day in her PJ's. Our friend & member of the bishopric, John Armstrong, came over around 8:30 and assisted Cory in giving Lil' a blessing. He stayed and talked with us for about 2 hours. We enjoyed our visit. The blessing helped and Lillie slept much better last night...thank goodness for the priesthood.
This last week Cory made a shadow box for Lil's blessing dress. I thought it really turned out. He enjoys working with wood (he made the shelf in the dining room, pictured above). The total cost of supplies was about $20 dollars. I'm sure it would've been much more expensive if we had a professional do it. It matches her white furniture, so I'm pleased with how it looks in her room. 
16 comments:
Okay so its been forever since I've seen Cory, and I remember you as well!! You guys have a darling family! I've been blog hopping and found yours through others from good ole' Hurricane! Say hi to Cory for me!
Dianna (duke)Wiley
www.wileyjourney.blogspot.com
Happy Mother's Day my long lost friend. Someday I may return to my life there but not until next week!! The job here has been extended for a whole other week!! I am SO ready to come home and hang out with my girls. That means that we need a night out with no hubbies or kids. I'll plan it since I'm in the dog house. Can't wait to see you again someday, until then take care!!
1. you are the best mom I know.
2. Im still laughing picturing those kids curse you.
3. Hope Lillie is feeling better
4. How much longer are your parents in Croatia?
5. AWESOME talent that man of yours has!
It's always a relief to have a priesthood blessing ease the discomfort of your child. I'm so glad that she was able to sleep and consequently, you and Cory as well. Sounds like they really appreciate you. You did a terrific job with the Primary kids, just like always. We are so blessed to have you, the ward and our family! We love you Nat!
You are such a great mom and I have loved getting to know you better. We don't see each other very often but this blog this is such a great way to keep in touch and get to know one another better. I am glad your mothers day was good except for Lillie being sick. I hope she is feeling better. See you in a month.
Love, Kim
I love the shadow box! Cory did such a great job- tell him I love it and I wish he would make me 2 for my girls' dresses! I'm glad you had a good Mother's Day- you're a fantastic mama!
happy mothers day!! sorry lil was sick! i love love love the shadow box!! Does Cory want to make one for me?
You are one of my favorite mamma's to talk too! I am glad you had a good mothers day. I had a sick child as well...great timing! Love ya!
I loved the Sacrament meeting singing experience you shared. I'm sorry your sweet Lil was feeling sick. I hope it passed quickly. It's special the way a sick child just needs comfort from their Mama when they don't feel well. How appropriate to see her tender Mom holding her. AND THANK YOU for posting the pic of the shadow box! I love it and need Andrew to see that.
Super funny about that crying poster lady...who would've thought?
Your Lil is super cute and I love the blessing dress hanging up. Might have to copy that one. Thanks Nat!
Sorry you got rebuked by primary children. Sometimes I guess husbands know what they're talking about. By the way, adorable shadow box. Props to Cory for that one for sure!
It was great talking to you yesterday! Hope you have fun on your trip!
WOW - what a post!
I love how the shadow box turned out, very professional. Maybe he could inspire Luke? I also love your primary flop - so funny! Hope little Lil is feeling better and you are getting a better nights rest:)
LOOOVE the shadow box idea, so sweet! That idea you got online would've scared me as a kid! :P But, I think it's hilarious how they reacted! Kids....BTW, Happy Belated MOther's Day! You're amazing and you inspire me everytime I read your blog. Seriously.
I love that 'within the walls of your own home quote'. I had a sign especially made to hang in my house w' that phrase. That is too funny about the squirting out of the eye story! Oh, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE that shadow box display of your daughter's dress. That is one of the CUTEST things I've seen in a LONG time! =)
Great job on the shadow box. Sorry you had such a ruff night. Sick kids are no fun and it can be so scary. I am glad she is doing better.
Post a Comment