2.27.2008

Freedom & a Spiritual Boost

After playing "hostess" for the last four 1/2 years, Cory & I finally made the decision to close our transition home (where we have the girls live with us from the school). We were married only 6 months when we had teenage girls from all over the U.S. living in our home...2 to 6 at a time! It's been such an awesome experience making the connection with these amazing & diverse young women, but we were ready to focus on our family. It's been really nice being able to live our own life...even if we are on a tight budget now with only living on Cory's income. We'll make it work...
Today we traveled the two & a half hours to the Mesa temple. Our Lillie-sitter fell through at the last minute, so instead of doing a session together, I watched Lil' while Cory did initiatories and vice versa. It was a long day, but well worth the trip - especially when we needed the boost. It's funny how obstacles always arise when you try to be good - does that ever happen to you?
This is my favorite action Lillie has learned - folding her arms. It only lasts a few seconds, but it's really cute. This was taken right before bedtime during our "family devotional" time. My not so favorite behavior is her fits - I'm hoping it's a phase, but she was throwing temper tantrums (short, but really obnoxious) left & right today! This isn't right - she's not even two yet. I thought I had another 10 months before commencement into the "terrible two's". So what do I do? Ignore the behavior?
Lillie's favorite part before bedtime...wrestling with Daddy! She loves to play with him. Despite today's fits - we love her dearly & are so grateful to be parents. She's a blast!

10 comments:

The Fish Family said...

It looks like you had a pretty good time, even though your babysitter didn't come through. Next time we are going to have to go down together and take turns watching the kids that way there should be no problems!! I feel like I haven't seen you in forever and I can't wait until we are all better so that we can hang out again!! And yes, I HATE being sick and I am ready to get out of this house!! Later!!

Janalee said...

You are such a good example! We only have to go to St George and it still seems like we have the hardest time getting there. You are right, everytime we plan to go something happens to make it more difficult. Just part of it I guess. I want to come down and play with you sometime but I know you are extremely busy the next little while - so just let me know when I can come. Love ya and that cute fam of yours!

Shannon said...

I'm glad you had a good time at the temple. That's a great picture of your family. I know what you mean about living on one income. It's kinda different, but it all works out. You'll be fine. I'm sure it's nice to have your house to yourselves.

Kylene said...

First of all, I can't leave a comment w/o mentioning how cute Lillie is! I just wanna hug her! You reminded me I need to go to the temple this month, thanks. As Janalee said, seriously, you've always been an example I look to. As for the tantrums, I only can say ride it out and don't ignore them! That's the worst thing you can do. Even at this a year or later they understand when you make a point what type of behavior is acceptable and vice versa. I held off too long on Jaakson and we're having to break some bad habits now and it's kinda rough on all of us. ;)Cute fam, Nat! :)

Annie Sunshine said...

I'm sure that was a hard choice for you, not only because of the monetary impact, but because I can tell you have gotten attached to some of your girls, and have been grateful for the chance you had to make a difference in their lives. Anyway, congrats on this next step in life. It will be nice to have your home to yourself. Living on one income is hard, but I'm sure if you need some extra change you can do some photography. I LOVE your pictures!

Anyway, looks like you are having fun & choosing the best part. Oh...by the way, the tantrums are a phase...it's a phase that lasts 3 years...good luck! j/k just depends on the child & their personality. Bryce hardly ever had a tantrum. Lindsay - I can count on having at LEAST four or five a day!

The Gubler Fam said...

nat I love the pic of Cory and Lil don't you love watching your husband be a daddy? It always reminds me of my daddy. Well I miss you and your fam. Can't wait to see you at Easter

Linda Larson Flegal Prince said...

Hi, sweet daughter. I love to look at your blog which happens more often than I make comments. It is my way of keeping informed about your world since you don't write very often. I know that you are busy. I love to see the pictures of you and your sweet family. I miss little Lillie. She is so cute. I want to hold her and watch her run around. I don't have any suggestions for your parenting except just love her and ignore the tantrums. You are a good mom and Cory is a good dad. I am very proud of both of you. Love ya!! MOM

Kelly said...

My little Eva has been throwing little fits lately too. She'll throw herself on the ground even. She threw her first big one at the grocery store the other day and I finally just had to laugh thinking that I already have a kid big enough to do this. I'm with you though, I thought I had a few more months left!

The Self's said...

Lillie is getting so big! What a doll! I just wanted to let you know that Steve and I are setting up a new blog. I am just to computer-challenged! It got so complicated with our new e-mail address that it's just easier to start a new one. It's seflsforever.blogspot.com. It's under construction, so I apologize for that. We'd love to hear from you! -Melanie

Rachael said...

Can I just say that you are amazing!!! I am such a whimp compared to you. I would have just cancled the trip to the temple if I had no sitter! I love the picture of all three of you and you are looking skinny mini! Jack has been throwing tantrums as well and I hate it! If I take something away good luck because he is ticked. So much fun!